Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas - Guest Blogger Style

Merry Christmas to all! No, this isn't Jo. This is her older sister, Becky, here to assure you that all is well in Isley land. I was just listening to Lacy chatter about the art of bath taking a few minutes ago. Jo's busy helping Lacy to "look fabulous" for Christmas right now (Lacy's words) and she sent me in to post a Christmas post since she's been a bit tardy in her posting as of late. Who knew that life with a four year-old would be so busy?

First, a little background. For the past two and a half years, I have been living 2000 miles away from my family while attending graduate school to work on a PhD. Before that, I taught high school for ten years and was fairly sure I'd seen and heard everything that kids could do. (Trust me... I could tell you some stories!) Since I've been gone, I get regular updates about the many escapades of Lacy mostly through this very blog. It's important to note here that having grown up with Jo, I know she has a particular tendency when it comes to story telling. She does what she and my dad call "exaggerating for humorous effect." So naturally, I would read the stories she posts and think, "maybe that's just a tad exaggerated. I don't know any four year-olds that do things like that." I sort of made a mental note a number of times to call Jo's bluff when I spent some extended time with Lacy and saw the real kid. Just a second... Lacy's calling me.

More talk of fabulousness... back now. So for the past few days, I've been staying with Jo and her family, seeing Miss Lacy up close for an extended time. I have a confession to make. Jo isn't exaggerating one bit. In fact, she's probably holding back. Since I've been here, Lacy has called me m'lady. She has gotten rather wound up (tears) about the fate of the poor Hershey's Kisses that were going into some cookies (you'll have to ask Jo for the whole story... but Daddy did show up and save the day in the end). She has told me that I looked fabulous and fashionable. When I gave her a lip gloss holder that had a mirror, it became the box of fabulousness complete with a mirror to check and make sure you are still fabulous. Yesterday, her dad put out some presents while she was napping and she explained that Santa made a preliminary visit but would be back later with more.

Right now, we are trying to keep her upstairs while we wait for the grandparents to show up and see her come downstairs to see what Santa brought. I think my shift is next so I'd better come up with a plan. Hopefully Jo will be back in blogging form after the first of the year. You'll have to give her a little slack... life with Lacy is anything but slow. But trust me... there are quite a few stories waiting to be blogged. And they are ALL true. Crazy kid.

Merry Christmas!

Guest Blogger, Becky

No comments: