Monday, December 29, 2008

My Afternoon

It's been a day full of Lacy madness. I was laid up on the couch most of the day feeling pretty crummy, but once Randy got called in for an overtime shift I realized I would be in charge of dinner. Drat. Over the past few days I have completely emptied the fridge of all back up food. Yes, I consider slices of summer sausage and canned oranges a perfectly acceptable meal. (At least when the husband is at work!)


Somehow I managed to pull the two of us together and get things moving. Before we walked out the door, I wrote down a quick list of what I needed to get at Target. (We were sharing one roll of toilet paper between three bathrooms!) I neatly folded my paper into a little square and placed it in my pocket. As to be expected, Lacy began to do the same. While I hunted for my keys, Lacy finished off folding up her list. Suddenly I hear sobbing coming from the living room. I find Lacy standing in front of the door, tears down her face. She couldn't find the pockets of her jeans, and therefore couldn't put her list away. Absolute meltdown.

We quickly located her pockets and secured the list, and Lacy managed to recover. It was time to head out. First stop: beauty supply store. Momma needs a root job. We walked towards the store hand in hand. Somewhere among Lacy's incessant chatter I thought I heard her say that she needed a new lipstick. I assumed she meant Chap Stick. I was wrong. As soon as we made it into the store she marched right up to the cashier and asked said, "Excuse me, I need to know where the lipstick department is." I stood there in shock. Did she seriously just ask where the lipstick department was?!? To my continued disbelief, the cashier took her to the make-up area and showed her where everything was. Lacy thanked her and began to shop. I had every intention of putting a stop to the whole thing, but I was too dumbfounded to do anything whatsoever. My four year old was seriously shopping for lipstick. She looked at a nice peach color, a dark purple, and settled on a pretty pink. And being the sucker I am... I bought it for her. She even let me try some on. It really is a nice color!

And then we went to Trader Joe's for some random groceries. While waiting in line to check out, a strange white-trash couple behind us were staring at Lacy. Somewhere along the line the man decided it would be funny to make donald duck noises for Lacy. She stared at him completely unfazed. He continued. Finally she looked right at him, hands on her hips and said, "That's. Not. Funny." But still he persisted. And so did she, "I don't know why you are doing that." As we started to walk away she turned to the both of them and said, "Not. Funny. At. ALL." I left it at that. She was right, it wasn't funny. But she sure was!

Just another day in paradise around here.

2 comments:

holly* said...

hehe. did she put her lipstick in her pockets? if so, time to start checking pockets before the wash..

Anonymous said...

Your Lacy I think is a window into what I can expect with my Stefanie. I think in absence of the breathing gene God gave them the smart (or smart ass) gene. My little 1.5 year old opened my pantry door, helped herself to a clementine, closed the pantry door, walked to the trash peeled it completely placing every piece in the trash and then ate it slice by slice. I think its something Lacy might have done at her age. She is so lucky to have found you. I wish you all the best. Have you had any luck with trying her on BiPAP?
Hugs,
Michelle and Stefanie from the CCHS network.