Thursday, October 19, 2006

Crocks and white socks ROCKS!

By now I am sure you are all aware how painfully over-stretched I am in regards to work and school. Because of my time constraints, I rarely, if ever, get to spend time with the friends I really care about. I have a drawer full of invitations to baby showers, birthdays, anniversaries, and other festivities, all of which I longed to attend but was continually unable. The few moments I have to myself are usually spent staring at a large pile of dirty laundry mentally willing my clothes to clean and fold themselves. So this afternoon was a special treat!
.
I got a phone call from a dear friend, and we spent over an hour catching up and encouraging each other with our life endeavors (and, of course, making fun of other people!). It was a great time. Unfortunately, it was mandatory that my hour on the phone was also spent multi-tasking. While we chatted I started getting my stuff together for tomorrow. (I'm finally learning that 4 AM is not a good time to look for my stethoscope!) Eventually I sat down on the couch, let my hair down (literally) and put my feet up. Nearly 45 minutes into the conversation, I realized that I needed to find something for dinner (Randy is at work tonight). So I grabbed my keys, found my ATM card, slid on my comfy work shoes, and walked out the door. All while on the phone. I planned to drive through El Pollo Loco and get some chicken and rice, so it really didn't matter what I looked like, right?
.
The conversation lasted as I drove up the boulevard and parked near the restaurant saying our goodbyes and promising to chat again soon. It was at this point I somehow forgot that my initial plan was to DRIVE-THRU!!!
.
Standing before the register, I began my order:
.
El Pollo Loco Register Guy: "Welcome to El Pollo Loco, what can I get for you?"
.
Me: "Um.... well, I guess I'll take the chicken and rice....um.... bowl"
.
It was at that exact moment, after the chicken and rice but right before the bowl that everything hit me. .
.
In that little pause, the "um", a million thoughts were rushing through my head. It was one of those perfect Oh Shit moments. I looked like I had just crawled out of my own butt hole. (Click Here to get an idea of what I look like when I'm "lettin' my hair down").
.
My first sin was the Crocks. Those ugly plastic shoes that are OHHH SO COMFORTABLE! Although I am sure my subscription to Vogue magazine would be canceled if they ever found out, I love wearing my crocks to work. And sometimes places other than work. But normally they are hidden under a wide leg cargo pant, so I find it somewhat justifiable. Today was not the case. Underneath my black crocks were a pair of white gym socks, the really short ones that cut my ankle at the absolute thickest part. (thanks mom's side of the family!) Above the crocks and the socks, the landscape really went downhill. I was wearing a pair of gaucho pants (I know, I know... so WRONG!) and an old thin t-shirt that did not match, yet allowed the color of my bra to show through (orange. bright freaking orange. hey, it was on sale). My hair was sticking in a million directions, and I WAS IN PUBLIC! I was mortified. That cashier could have charged me $50 for my chicken bowl and I wouldn't have noticed! I was wearing Crocks with Socks! I wanted to die!

1 comment:

Becky said...

Dude... even I wouldn't do that... blame it on the lack of sleep.