Have you ever looked at something and not been able to immediately recognize what it was that you were looking at? So you scrunch up your face, squint your eyes, and turn your head just a little to the side. All to get a better look? In a sense, that is how I see the world every single day. I suspect my perception of life is a little different than the rest of the world. I'm utterly convinced that I am genetically incapable of conforming to the social norm. But somehow it works for me.
Case in point: this week. While in the middle of a job interview I actually used the word "whore". According to my husband, most people don't do that.
Over the past few weeks, I'd been hearing rumblings that my current employer just happened to be the lowest pay in town. I figured it would be wise to check it out, so I tossed my resume online to see if there were any takers. Evidently there were. I had an interview on Friday afternoon. After the first round of questioning by the department director, he deemed me qualified for round two and promptly ushered me down the hall his bosses office, where the three of us would endure the usual pre-employment formalities. Or so they thought.
Halfway through the interview I still couldn't tell if they liked me or not. I had only managed about two and a half hours of sleep the night before, so I may have not been in top form. Whatever the case, for the life of me I could not get a read on these two men. While I was doing my best to reset my internal radar, the "big man" asked me something about my current job (I wasn't really listening, I was working on my radar!). I explained to him that in my department, everything we do for a patient (that we can charge them for) is worth a certain amount of points. We are required to have a specific number of points at the end of each shift. "Big Man's" hospital does not yet have a way to quantify the productivity of his employees, so he immediately got defensive:
"That can certainly lead to some abuse of patient care" he stated.
My response?
"Well, it's not like we are whoring-out the patients or anything"
I have one week to decide if I will except their offer of employment. (With a $7/hr pay increase from my current job.)
Saturday, September 23, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Only you, Jo... only you.
That is hilarious! Tell me all your secrets - how do you get away with it? LOL!
I just hope you arent "whoring" yourself out for this extra $7 an hour...you know I love you, you little skank!!!
Love ya lots,
larci lou who!
I'm sure it'll make your heart happy to hear that I read this to mom and she kept giggling for like five minutes. You DO have a gift.
for $7 an hour I'd whore mself out...
Post a Comment