Sunday, October 15, 2006

Pho! Whaaaa???

My stint as a modern twenty-something girl is coming to a close in the next few months. As my thirtieth birthday looms closer, I realize that it's time to learn a few skills. Primarily cooking and cleaning. Up until now, Randy has been the sole provider of all things domestic in our home. If I ever decide to sweep (Randy is much better at it anyway) or mop, I usually have to call my husband and ask him where to find all of the cleaning supplies. On the rare occasion I decide to make something from scratch in the kitchen, it is traditionally prefaced with Randy, again, finding all of the gadgets and utensils I will need. I think it is time I faced the inevitable. Eventually I will be a mother and have children who rely on me for sustenance. The time has come where I need to get in touch with my inner Martha Stewart, minus the whole criminal conviction thing.
Attempt #1 at domesticating myself:

I have fallen in love with a Vienamese dish called Pho (pronounced "fuh"... like DUH!). Basically it's chicken noodle soup, with a Vietnamese twist. Normally I order it to-go from the local ethnic restaurant, but the last time I went I noticed a "B" rating. I decided it was time make it myself. I found a recipe this morning and headed down to the local asian market. It was a little intimating to walk up and down the rows without knowing what 99% of the items were, but I managed to find what I was looking for and now I've got my pho on the stove! (Actually, it's in the crock pot).


To make Pho I cook two chicken breasts in broth with garlic cloves, coriander seeds, star anise, onion, and cilantro. It cooks for 5 hours in the crock pot and then I strain the seasoning, veggies and chicken away from the broth. After cutting up the chicken I place it in a bowl with rice noodles, fresh mint and basil, and a wedge of lime! I spice mine up with some hoisin sauce and a little hot sauce! Perfect on a cold day.

I hope Randy gets home from work early. Somebody needs to clean this mess up.

2 comments:

K said...

Every time I went to the Hong Kong market by my house in Houston, I felt my face and eyes slowly morph into the "deer in the headlights" look.

Be careful asking your husband about how to do any of the household chores and what-not. My husband likes to tell me how to "improve" my technique with EVERYTHING I do EVERY TIME I do it. It's SO great...let me tell you.

Becky said...

It would be like you to find something difficult as your starter course on cooking...