Thursday, May 18, 2006

I did it!

January 2003. I had just received my Real Estate license a month prior, and my first sale was already in the middle of escrow. I was representing the buyers as they purchased their first home, and they were beginning to freak out on me. They had a million questions, and I had only a few answers. Things were not going as smoothly as I had hoped. In a desperate attempt to make my buyers happy, I enlisted another agent into the deal to help me with my buyers. The new agent quickly transferred the entire sale into her name and walked away with over 50% of my commission. I was devastated. I had just been royally screwed. Welcome to the life of a salesman.

January 7th 2003. I was still upset about the recent hostile takeover of my sale and I was sitting at the front desk of my real estate office answering phones and hoping to catch a few new leads. It was a Monday morning, and the phone hadn't made a sound in over an hour. I wandered outside and picked up the morning newspaper and returned to the front desk to enjoy the local news. Somewhere in the paper I noticed an advertisement for a Respiratory Care Program. On a whim I called the number, and my journey began.

March 11, 2003. My first day of Introduction to Respiratory Care. I was back at college, excited about this new career, and terrified to tell my parents (and my in-laws) that I wanted to do something new AGAIN. I managed to keep my new plan to myself for a while. Much like placing a fish into a new tank of water, I decided to slowly ease my parents into this new idea. I made mention of it a few times and within a few weeks they seemed supportive of my new direction.

May 18, 2006. I finished my journey. I learned that sacrifice will pay off. I learned that it is possible to take 27 units in one semester, work a part time job and still manage at 3.3 GPA! I learned that
CaO2 = (0.003 x PaO2) + (1.34 x Hb x SaO2)! I learned that my life is truly a living example of the grace of Christ. I learned that my husband often gives much more than he gets. I learned that my sister and I are more alike that I ever thought possible. I learned that my in-laws didn't care that I was tired and frustrated, I'd better get a good grade on every exam, NO EXCUSES. I learned that I can survive on only 4 hours of sleep per night for 8 months in a row. I learned that the most valuable thing my parents ever gave me was a willingness to listen to my fears understand my mistakes and and never judge me. They provided me the confidence to push forward when the odds seemed against me.

I know that some people will never see my achievement as a huge accomplishment. In fact, someone said to me the other day, "uh, you are still going there?" But for me, today was a day of completion. Because of today, I am able to define myself like never before. I have found value in myself, I have found a future for my life, I have found the confidence to set and achieve goals I would never have tried before.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you Jo Jo! you are a rockstar...and though we have not had the oppurtunity to spend as much time together it has been worth the time apart for you to have done this huge endeavor! Words can not express how proud I am of you!

Anonymous said...

Ok Jo,

I know you are lacking the love, but I just got back to a decent connection and I promise more love your way!

-R

Becky said...

Ya know... crazy things can happen when Cramer girls figure out that they can do big things... looking forward to seeing you through the next steps in the journey.

-Becky