Saturday, May 13, 2006

Situational Irony.

This morning, I was among one of the lucky few employees with orders in the Psych Ward! I waited until after breakfast (and morning meds) to drag my EKG machine up to the 5400 floor, and then began the obligatory search for my patient. After catching and tying down my prey (just kidding, I didn't really have to catch her... I had an orderly do it for me) I started explaining how the test would go. While performing the EKG exam on this female "inmate", she mentioned to me that she was here because she wanted to die and also considered killing a few others. As usual, I responded with something like, "Well, we are just lucky to have you here. I'm happy that you are safe now". While this may seem like somewhat of a strange conversation, I can assure you that this is totally par for the course. But I nearly laughed out loud when she told me that she was convinced she had a heart problem, and was afraid that she was going to die! The same woman who WANTED TO KILL HERSELF was afraid she was going to die from a heart attack! Gotta love it.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I guess when things go bad, they REALLY go bad.