They didn't really photograph all that well, but these are the infamous bite marks that just break my heart. We had another meltdown today... and the biting was much worse. Fortunately I was better able to deal with it and I just ignored her. She bit her arms and fingers over and over while screaming, "LOOK! LOOK! I BITE MYSELF!!!". I just walked past her and pretended to not even notice. After the meltdown she was back to normal and she tried to show me her arms... I said, "I don't want to see your arms. We don't bite our arms in this family so I am not interested in looking at yours." It was obvious she was not expecting that reaction. We were able to move though this meltdown a bit quicker than the last one. I figure we will be doing this for the next month or so. Lord, give me strength.One of my biggest concerns so far is that I was told she really doesn't have the ability to self-soothe, so I worry the entire time that I am doing the wrong thing by letting her flail around on the ground and scream like a total brat. Should I be doing something else? The only thing that I've noticed is that the MINUTE she gets what she wants the tantrum is over. So I suspect she is totally able to self-soothe. Whaddya think?
2 comments:
Being a mom is hard. I think you are doing the right thing as awful as it is to see your baby girl do that to herself. I have always tried to not reinforce the negative behavior.
On a much smaller scale I act deaf when my 6 year old is whining about something and as soon as she uses her big girl voice I respond to what she says.
Our motto at home is "Fun or Room". If you want to be fun (respectful, happy, caring) you can be with mom and dad. Otherwise, you can go to your room or timeout mat and join the rest of the family when you are happy.
You are doing a great job!
I just got caught up on your blog...I am so happy you finally got her home!! Her character makes me laugh! I am sure you deserve every bit of what she is dishing out to you. I don't recall you being an easy kid! MY little Regan has told Josh and I many many times, "I don't love you anymore, You are not my best friend anymore, Get away from me, and so forth" I just laugh and ignore her but it really breaks Josh's heart. Thanks for calling on my b-day, I was at Glen Ivy. We have to have you guys over with your kiddo soon!!
Love You Jo!!
Sarah
Post a Comment