I don't know how I let this one slip past me 'till now, but there is a very distinct social hierarchy in motherhood. It's like high school all over again.
.
My friend, Donnelly, has a little girl that is Lacy's age. She and I are both thinking about placing our girls in a local dance studio for lessons. Yesterday I went down to the Conservatory of Dance (waaaaay to pretentious of a name for a strip-mall dance "studio" with a cheap Mexican food restaurant on one side and an insurance place on the other, but I digress). The current class was full of 3 year old little girls in pink tights and Tu-Tu's. These children were perfect in every manner, hair pulled back in a tight sleek bun with a beautiful matching pink ribbon. I just stared in awe at these children. How do the moms possibly manage to get their hair like that without using horse tranquilizers on them? (Side note: tranquilizers would be bad, but only because kids get all limp and floppy when they are asleep and that is not conducive to doing hair either. Obviously I am just guessing on this one) My kid would never look like that. Now, if we were to enter a contest to see who could drink the most bathwater... or who could say the loudest in the middle of a grocery store, "UH OH MOM, I THINK I JUST POOPED MY PANTS AND IT'S NAAASTY". Then I would have a hands-down winner. Unfortunately, this wasn't the time or place for that award.
.
As my eyes followed the beautiful little girls to their mothers is the moment it all hit me. There are various levels of motherhood, and I am not in this league. Don't get me wrong, I don't really have any big desire to be on of "those" moms, but it would nice to think that I could be one if I wanted, ya know?!? They were all sitting together in the back of the studio in their knock-off couture handbags, Citizens of Humanity jeans, perfect hair, bright white teeth, and giant fake boobs falling out of their low-cut shirt all the while unanimiously holding car keys to the five black Cadillac Escalades out front. The stereotypical southern California mom. Like I said, high school all over again.
1 comment:
In ten years of teaching high school, I think I saw more mothers' breasts than I did students... so I'm very aware of said hierarchy. Don't worry... they tend to have troubled children... they only look cute.
Post a Comment