There is a new movement among Christians today. It’s all about going green. From g-diapers to eco-friendly light bulbs, from saving your own refuse and using it in your green garden to driving the most energy efficient car… it’s the new WWJD bracelet. Everybody’s sportin’ it.
I am torn by this new craze. While I believe that we, as a society, are horribly abusing our environment; and I passionately believe that humanity will have to accept responsibility for the neglect, I’m not quite sure I want to fully embrace this new movement. ‘Cause I have seen me them Christian movements… and somes of thems are none to pretty, I say!
Here’s the deal… at what point does “going green” become the status symbol for our faith? What if I don’t want to use reusable diapers? Am I going to be shunned by my bible study group? Do I have to worry about what light bulbs we are using in the living room when the ladies group comes for tea? I hope not.
I pray that the green movement doesn’t become a contest of spirituality. So with that, I will keep my list of recycling tendencies to myself just as I feel my tithe and giving amount is personal. It’s between me (and Randy) and Him. He knows where my heart is and he knows whether I keep my microwave plugged in when I am not using it.
Tuesday, October 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
We all have to live within our means. Going completely green just isn't feasible for many as "the green" starts disappearing from our wallets. I believe that God wants us to take better care of our world, but He understands and expects mistakes and fallacies. We aren't perfect, and He knows that. I think that God would want us to do our part to the best of our ability and at least make some sort of an effort. If someone from church judges you for using Pampers, then they're not being very Christian-like in my eyes. I don't think that your spirituality will come into question because you use a certain light bulb.
I will shun you and judge you Jo for not using eco-diapers.
Green is not faith status - in fact our family has encountered the exact opposite with our "Christian" friends here in Bakersfield. We are "crazy liberals" "Don't we listen to Glenn Beck and what he says about Al Gore and the whole Global Warming lie?" So, you're a bad Christian for not proclaiming your Green status and I am a bad Christian for talking about it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
PS - just kidding about that shunning and judgment thing!
i never would have thought a "christain" would judge a person by the household cleaners or low emmission vehicle that one may drive. in fact, as kirby stated, it seems quite UN-christain like to judge another person on those things.
living in the bay area we are hyper exposed to "earth-friendly solutions". somoe of which i have hoped on the band wagon with. others, like cloth diapering, are just not possible for my family (mostly because the booger is a delicate little flower and cloth diapers had a very adverse reaction to his bum, suprisingly). and i dont feel like i'm doing any worse by using pampers.
personally, i have made the changes that work for me and my family. i have switched to non-toxic/biodegradable cleaners. we watch where we're driving, how much water we use, and when we leave the lights on. our trash consumption is down from last year. and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, i make every change/effort i can to improve my son's life now and in the future. its not about who's looking through my trash, but what my trash is going to do to my son.
Post a Comment