Monday, October 15, 2007

Return To Blogging!

You know, I need to get back to blogging. I started this blog back in 2005 to keep my writing skills up... now all I do is post pictures... what's a mom to do? What if I'm not insightful and amusing anymore? Ha! I scoff at that... Guess I will just write about what's going on right now and maybe something good will come out.

Lacy was up at 5 am this morning. No nurse last night, so Randy and I took turns doing vent checks. We get up every two hours to make sure that she is still breathing ok, and that the circuit to her vent is not falling on the floor, and that her diaper is dry (yes still working on that). I realized during my 2:30 am vent check that we just managed our first month living together as a family. Pretty cool.

Lacy is court ordered to have visitation with her birth mom once a week, but so far we have not had one visit. Sometimes I still worry that everything is going to go terribly wrong and we are going to lose her. I just have to trust that our family was put together by the Lord and that He is not going to leave us wounded nor Lacy in danger. But I still worry. Sometimes.

I dropped Lacy off at preschool at 8 and the house is so quite without her. All I can hear is the water running in the toilet in Lacy's bathroom... wait... lemmie see if I can go fix that... little handle jiggle... nope... take the lid off and move the plug thing around... problem solved. Looks like it's going to be a good day.

Ohhhh... I have a great blog story for you...

Last week I was walking out of the craft store in Redlands. As I walked to my car I noticed a very large woman oozing out of her minivan. That's really the only way I could describe it. She just let her body slide down till her feet touched the ground, and then she wobbled across the side of the van 'till she had enough room to close the door.

Yes, I was being judgemental... as well as reminding myself that I needed to get to a gym sometime in the near future.

Normally I wouldn't be so hateful (ok, maybe) but she was wearing a very tight t-shirt that didn't quite manage to, shall we say, "cover the entire subject". The fat roll ABOVE her belly button was hanging out beneath her t-shirt and her stretch marks were on public display for all to enjoy. Beneath her belly button was another large mound of flesh that drooped and bopped on her thighs. This, in itself, was not what caught my attention.

From the corner of my eye, I noticed a plume of smoke coming out from beneath her belly roll (the bottom one). Evidently she had recently lost her ciggie onto her lap, and when she oozed into a standing position it got caught between her belly and her thighs. Hence the smoke.

As an innocent bystander to this situation I felt I had some responsibility. My options were as follows:

1) Help her out. "Heeeeyyy... I think your fat roll is on fire" or "Um looks like you lost another cigarette. Pull up your belly and I will grab it out for you"

2) Pretend I didn't notice.

3) Justify not doing anything with the following reasons:
A. Smoking, when done properly, will kill you. Maybe a burn to the leg (and belly) will be reason enough to quit.
B. The fraction of oxygen between her flesh is much lower than that of ambient air. Everybody knows that fire needs oxygen. Most likely the cigarette will just go out on it's own.
C. If I am wrong about option 'B', she will eventually feel the burn and move the cigarette.

I went with C, of course. As she moved her way towards the store, the smoke eventually went out. Problem solved.

4 comments:

K said...

LOL that's hilarious! It's too bad you didn't get a pic. =)

Anonymous said...

thanks for the phone message I needed a good laugh that day!! Seriously...very FUNNY!!!

Anonymous said...

You know,..usually I come on here to look at your pictures, ( Lacy might be one of the cutest girls I've ever seen ), but this one time I stopped to read your ramblings. Amusing. However,..I must say that as a medical professional, I have to wonder where your priorities are at. Had you the chance to relive this moment, I would expect you to approach this woman and detain her till you could properly explain the implications of carrying around that kind of weight. For example,...you could point out to her that she could get rid of those blinking yellow lights and that sign that said WIDE LOAD on the back of her car. Also,...does she realize the increased gas mileage her car will get when it doesn't have to haul around that kind of payload?? Think about it!! That's some serious CASH!!

TLC

holly* said...

my husband found this incrediably amusing. he's still laughing as i type this...