Monday, August 18, 2008

Running Away?

While at Target picking out a birthday present for another kid:

Lacy: Mom, I want to play with that.

Me: No, Lacy, this is not for you. It is a present for your friend.

Lacy: Ooooohhhhhhh... I see... you don't love me.

What the hell am I supposed to do with that??? Seriously. I don't know what to say to that. Little shit.

This afternoon, Lacy wanted a hot dog. She had just finished a lunch of waffles, fruit, and sausage (I was incredible generous for making that, I feel) and I was packing Randy's dinner for work tonight.

Lacy: Mom, what is that (pointing at the hot dogs).

Me: I'm making chili dogs for your dad to take to work tonight.

Lacy: Can I have some?

Me: No. They are not for you. You just finished your lunch.

Lacy: Well, I guess I just don't like you and I'm gonna run away.

Me: You are going to run away?

Lacy: (pretty pleased with herself) yes. I am going to run away.

Me: Well, don't let me stop you.

I proceeded to walk her to the front door and escort her onto the front porch. I closed the door. Lacy hollered like I was ripping her limb from limb. She was out there a total of 45 seconds.

Some days I just want to give up, ya know?

3 comments:

holly* said...

ok, so that made me really laugh. really. only because tyler has been a complete demon since ben has been out of town this time. he wont potty. he wont sleep. he wont listen. nothing. i know he's "at that age", but, what i'm struggling with, is how they live past this age. good theing they're cute, huh?

its not that i find humor in your trials of parenting. i'm just experiencing my own currently and went through similar experiences today as well. tyler is a turd. if i never hear the word no from my toddler ever again in my life, i will die a happy happy person. but, i know thats not going to happen.

after you're assistance, maybe lacy wont threaten you with running away or not loving her for a bit. maybe.

theonewhere said...

"Some days I just want to give up, ya know?"

um...yeah...i know. hang in there. i'd say "it gets better," but this week all i can offer is, "14 more years to go." lol. ;)
brook

Linda said...

I just came across your blog and love it! I am a single mom to an almost 3 year old boy adopted from Guatemala. And he is starting to have meltdowns more often, so I can totally relate. Some days are just better than others, I guess.