Tuesday, August 01, 2006

I gave blood!

So today we had our monthly blood drive at work. And tonight I really feel the need to be honest with everyone. I didn't do it because it was the right thing to do. I didn't do it because I was able to go lie down for 20 minutes then eat cookies and drink punch ALL WHILE STILL ON THE CLOCK. (Although that was fun!) I did it because after we donate four times, we get an entire day's pay! The hospital I work at will credit me my full hourly wages for an entire day. Unfortunately I learned that it wasn't exactly going to be free.
*
After numerous attempts to locate a vein by various workers, one guy managed to stuff a needle into my arm. It felt like he was throwing a dart right through me. I was in so much pain, but I just sat still and thought about the cookies, punch, and my free paycheck! When he was finished I stood up, stumbled to the recovery table and nearly fell face first into the tray of snacks. The cookie monitor said quite loudly, "OH MY! ARE YOU NORMALLY THAT PALE?" To which I responded, "How pale am I... I'm supposed to be pink. Don't you see any pink?" Within seconds all of the blood donation workers circled around me just in case passed out. (The feeling was similar to having just pounded multiple shots of alcohol at once... at least that's what I've been told it feels like!) Anyhow, they all kinda convinced me to move over to the "rescue cot" to lie down. I just wanted some cookies. Why didn't anybody understand that? I don't want to lie down on the cot, I want a cookie. But it was not to be. Some lady made me drink warm water through a straw while she elevated my feet with a cardboard box. For a few moments, I really wanted to close my eyes and drift off to sleep. (Again, much like that 2 AM bar-haze... that I've only heard about ...where you gently lower your head onto the bar with your eyes half closed). But I fought the urge, and convinced the workers that I was just fine. I managed to stumble back to my department, where I sat at the computer totally spaced out of my mind to work on some patient charting. I couldn't even remember how to spell the word "wean". I tried it a few different ways... wien, wein, ween... after a few minutes I just gave up and asked my co-worker. So much for my big payoff, huh?

No comments: