Saturday, August 12, 2006

One more reason to hate me...

When a patient is about to "pass", my hospital will place a tray of fruit, cookies, muffins, lemonade, and iced tea inside the patient's room. Apparently this is for all of the family members who are coming in to say goodbye. Personally, I wouldn't want to be munching on macadamia-nut-white-chocolate-chip cookies and enjoying a cool glass of lemonade while granny was gasping for her last breath, but clearly the hospital sees things differently.
*
Last night I was asked to drop by a patient's room to give a quick breathing treatment. Upon my arrival, I saw the large tray that I secretly refer to as the "Continental Breakfast of Death". I found it really pathetic that I was supposed to give this woman a breathing treatment, but I suppose we gotta make money one way or another, right? I spent the entire time in her room saying to myself, "Please don't die on me. Please don't die on me..." More than once I thought we were close. Fortunately, I managed to wrap things up and get out of the room before the end.
*
About an hour later I was downstairs in my department when a co-worker came through to tell me, "Hey Jo... looks like you killed that patient on the 4th floor."
*
"What??? Are you serious? She's dead?" I asked.
*
"Yup" he replied, "Dead as a door nail"
*
"Oh man... do you think it would be ok if I went up and made myself a plate of cookies?"

1 comment:

Talitha said...

OMG, I have very conflicting thoughts on that one. How sad, how devestating. Can I ahve a cookie, too??? Ummm...wow.