We were lucky enough to take her out on a "day pass". We picked her up right after her nap and she hopped right into her car seat and was ready to go.
On the way home I realized I still needed a few things for dinner... so with a little hesitation we stopped at the grocery store. Randy and I were both incredibly nervous because Lacy has never seen anything like a grocery store in her life. We were both amazed how well she adapted to the situation. We gave her the option of riding in the seat of a grocery cart or the cart with a little kid's car attached to the front. She INSISTED on riding in the front little car. Randy pushed the cart down the isle to the produce area, and I immediately took my defensive position against anyone or anything that might startle Lacy. It was the strangest experience. I was suddenly like a pit bull, ready to attack if needed. She, however, was very quiet and watched everything with an incredible intensity. I explained what we were doing every step of the way and she seemed to even enjoy herself. After we grabbed a few items, I let Lacy pick out some flowers from the floral area. She made sure to hold onto them all the way to the check-out area. Within a few minutes we were back in the car and on our way home.
Lacy was excited to see her new home, but at first didn't want to go any further than a few inches away from either Randy or myself. Until she saw Tink. Randy picked Tink up and Lacy was so sweet with her. "Hello, my name is Lacy. What's your name?" she said. Tink ignored her. "You have very pretty ears" added Lacy. Tink continued to ignore her. Lacy gently reached out and held Tink's paw (Randy had the death grip on his cat just in case, so we weren't too concerned for Lacy's safety at this point) and while holding Tink's paw Lacy said, "You have very pretty hands." I was pretty impressed with how gentle Lacy was with the cat.
During dinner, Lacy's nurse, Julie, from her facility dropped by to see her new home. Lacy was thrilled to see her and show off her new bed, toys, and her cat. Lacy even went potty for her Julie to see.
We hope to have her home soon. Randy and I can't wait!
Oh! I almost forgot my absolute favorite part of the night... during dinner Lacy turned to Randy and said, "Randy! You are in TIME OUT right now!" of course I cracked up laughing, and she immediately turned to me without missing a beat and said, "JO, eat your dinner! You are in time out too". What an assertive little personality! I love every bit of it.
5 comments:
I am incredibly happy for you guys.
-Rob
Jo, it sounds absolutely wonderful! I'm so happy for y'all! Lacy looks so happy in all her pictures.
Lacy looks so happy! You are a mama bear protecting her cub.
Love the dinner options you gave her, plenty to choose from just in case she was really hungry she might eat the salad! I am so happy for you!!!
Yes--tick-tick is coming!
I love the perfectly folded hands in the car.
I'd also be curious to hear what she told the nurses when she got back. There had to be a few good stories.
Post a Comment