
Over the past five months, Randy and I have visited Lacy almost every single day. With Randy back in school right now, I usually hang out around the house in the afternoon waiting for him to get home and then we pack up Lacy's dinner and head down to the facility to spend some time with her. Last Monday, around 3:15 PM, I was watching a little Oprah when the phone rang.
"Hello, this is Loma Linda Children's Hospital, can you have Lacy here by 5pm tonight? Make sure to bring her wheelchair and crutches" (PS Lacy has none of that, she is a perfectly normal kid with the exception of having her breathing problems... this was my first clue that these people had NO idea what was coming into the unit!)
"Ummm, yeah, sure. I will make the phone calls."
My internal monologue was as follows: OH MY GOODNESS! OH MY GOODNESS! OH MY GOODNESS! OH MY GOODNESS! Ok, maybe it was more like OHHHHHHH SHIIIIIIT!
Within moments of the phone call, Randy was home and we were tossing clothes and toys into a bag for Lacy! We rushed down to the facility and waited for the "transport people" to show up and take her to LLU. Quickly we were all ushered into the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit where for the FIRST TIME we were told that this could possibly be a multi-week stay. And just for the record, no, she is not allowed off of the unit. It was now my job to amuse this perfectly-healthy- almost-three-year-old for, at this point, an indefinite amount of time! And could I please do my best to keep her on her bed and attached to all of the monitoring.
.
I called off work for the week, and moved into the PICU with Lacy.
.
That's where I have been ALL WEEK.
.
Lacy has been poked, measured, poked three more times, prodded, and checked out by immeasurable amount of doctors and other specialists. I am impressed how well she has just rolled with the situation. Every single person who walks into the room comments on how normal she is. Doctors, therapists, specialists... they all say the same thing, "Is THIS Lacy? She doesn't look like anything is wrong with her!"
.
On Tuesday (maybe wed or thurs, I can't remember anymore) the birth mom showed up to the hospital with her "fiancee" in tow. These are some crazy people, I must say! Mom told me how she has seven children (has lost custody of all but Lacy...for now at least!) She told me about Lacy's dad, who I found on Megan's Law website... he is 32 yrs old, 6'1", and MISSING A HAND! Nice. Mom wasn't much better, she is a freaking nutcase and has hundreds of stories about how she is just a victim in this whole thing and that the courts are out to get her. FREAKING NUT! The Fiancee told me that he is a "crack baby". Friggin' Awesome.
Monday is our estimated day of departure from the hospital. Things could change at any moment, so I am not all that sure of the exact time... ok, gotta get in the shower and get back to the hospital. Will write more when I get home! Wish us luck!
1 comment:
wow Mom! Praying you all and the situation.
Post a Comment