Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Developmental Progress Report

I received Lacy's progress report from her preschool the other day. I did not pick this preschool for her, in fact she has been attending this particular school since she was living at the facility. We chose to leave Lacy at this place for the first six months of her coming home so that she would have consistency. Recently I have noticed that she has yet to actually learn anything... my assumption was confirmed when I finally sat down and read her progress report:

Cognitive: Laci cognitive skills are right on track. She has no problem solving anything.

First off, her name is LACY... and she has no problem solving anything? I'm sorry, is this the same kid that falls on the floor in tears because she can't get her own pants off? PS I am typing this exactly as it is written. Enjoy the grammar!

Language: Laci language skills are right on target, she communicate very well with others.

She communicate well?

Gross Motor: Laci gross motor skills are right on track, she is very flexible.

I'm not even going to comment on that.

Fine Motor: Laci fine motor skills are right on track, she enjoys putting the puzzles together.

I enjoy doing ballet in my kitchen, however, that does not mean my skills are "right on track".

Social: Laci loves interacting with everyone she is very friendly and generous.

Self Help: We are working on Laci potty training. Laci tends daily to wash her face and hands after meals and after potty.

Special Notes: It's a delight to enjoy Laci presents daily, she is smart funny and a team player. Everyone enjoys Laci friendship because she welcome's you saying "Hi bestfriend".

Here's my deal with this. I totally get that to many of these instructors, the language barrier is a very real thing. That alone is not an issue. In fact I am exceedingly grateful that they are so willing to work with Lacy. In fact many of them have been teaching her Spanish! However, the person whose name is on the letterhead is supposedly an educated individual! Hello? Isn't it her job to review this? Seriously, this type of thing speaks directly to her credibility. Or lack thereof.

No comments: