Friday, March 28, 2008

The Exorcism

We had yet another visit to the doctor today.
.
This time they needed to draw blood.
.
They earned every drop of her blood.
.
We arrived at the lab, where I had previously informed Lacy that she would be getting a quick poke in her arm so that they could draw blood. She was well prepped for what was about to occur and also very adamant that she was not going as a willing participant in this project. (Of course I brought lots of presents for her to get once the procedure was over. ) Our name was called and we started to walk back to the little chair. Lacy realized what was about to go down and the tears began. The lab tech asked if I was okay with restraining her. At first I thought we'd just hold her, but Lacy had other plans. We were forced to take her into the back room and wrap her in some huge blanket to keep her from flailing around. After the "burrito technique" was administered, it took THREE people to hold her down so that they could successfully draw blood. Lacy was so pissed. The lab people were shocked how strong she was!

She was growling, and screaming, and thrashing, and foaming at the trach. It literally looked like we had exercised a demon from her! Everyone in the facility could hear this child suffer!

The part that cracked me up is that Lacy is such a tough kid. She has landed face first onto asphalt and she just gets back up and keeps going. Funny how the needle brought the worst out in her. I am 100% compassionate to her position. I really hate needles too, but seriously she was so over the top with this one that I had to not giggle while we were in the lab!

*********

Yesterday Lacy and I were getting into the car after a trip to Target. I had worked the night before and was currently on 30+ hours without any sleep. (This is actually pretty normal for me). As I plopped myself into the car, I let out a giant sigh... to which Lacy replied:

Lacy "What's wrong, mom... tell me, tell me... are you okay?"

Me "I am just really tired, Lace... and a bit frustrated"

Lacy: "Yeah.... and you are being a little dramatic too, mom!"

2 comments:

Becky said...

How can there be ANY question that this kid was a God-send? Thanks for the laugh... I really needed it.

Anonymous said...

I must say, I was held down at 17 when I had to get a shot to stay in school (I managed to "lose" the note from school saying I needed some booster at 15). I feel ya, Lacy. I feel ya.