Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Life is a Highway...


In many instances the past few years have been pretty rough. Randy and I have been through so much to get where we are today. I remember one night a few years back when we had to decide between putting gas in the car so we could get to our Anatomy and Physiology class or buying food to eat. (Grams gave us $20 so we could do both!) While I am still not yet convinced that we have EARNED anything (just a big proponent of grace, I guess), I can not help but step back and be so incredibly grateful for all of the many blessings we have in our lives today.

Today Grams provided us yet another blessing. She decided to trade in her fifth wheel trailer for a new trailer that she would graciously allow us to use. At first I was hesitant. I thought it was just too much. Grams has already done so much for our family, I just didn't know if we could accept any more. But that is our Grams. She quietly insisted. We humbly accepted... well, except for Lacy. Lacy made sure Grams was gonna pony up for air conditioning too. That's our Lacy!

Today I thought about how happy she and Gramps were the day they brought home their trailer. Gramps was walking on air for months and Grams denied him nothing. He filled that trailer with more gadgets and gizmos than you could possibly imagine would fit inside that thing!

Together, they were going to discover the world... or at least every great place to eat along the west coast.

Together they touched so many lives. It was not unusual to find 40 people and nearly 10 vacation trailers all camping together enjoying each others company. Always finding The Isleys in the center of it all; Gramps whizzing around like a spinning top making sure everyone was participating in the family fun, and Grams, with her quiet strength keeping Gramps anchored. The whole scene was something to envy. Those two created a family for so many people who were detached from their own.

It doesn't matter who you are, or where you come from... if you are with the Isleys you are family.

So now it's our turn. The next generation of Isleys are traveling the highways. You are certainly right Uncle Jim, it just ain't the same without him. But I'm willing to guess he wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

Grams, we are so blessed to be a part of your life. Thank you for sharing so much of yourself with us.





No comments: