Monday, October 20, 2008

Not Everybody Is Adopted...


Earlier today before our morning walk to the park, Lacy and I were watching the Discovery Channel in her new upstairs TV room. We were watching the end of a Baby Story waiting for Adoption Story to come on.


During the scene where the mom was giving birth, Lacy's interest piqued. "Mom, what is going on there?"


Now, do I go for the direct description of what is goin on? Do I explain to my kiddo about the baby and the va-jay-jay? Probably not. We all know that will come back to haunt me.

I took a different angle...


Me: "Lacy, I need to tell you something... (insert dramatic pause here)... Some people have a family, and they don't adopt any of them!"


Lacy: "No way, mom"


Me: "I know. There are people out there who actually think it's a good idea to have the babies themselves!"


Lacy: "Themselves?"


Me: "Yeah, they carry the baby in their stomachs and then when it is time they go to the hospital and have them taken out, and then they take the baby home! But it's not okay to make fun of those kids, just because they aren't adopted!"


Lacy: "I'm adopted"


Me: "Yup. Just the way it was supposed to be!"


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wa ha ha.....ethan thinks the same way. one day he said one of his friends was adopted, who was not. so i explained to him that some people still live with their birthmoms, and he said, "ooooohhhh, how sad." lol. kids are funny. :)
brook

Anonymous said...

Has anyone told you today how truley brilliant you are? Well, you are.

julie said...

hahaha. jo this was so funny. i love your "angle"!!!!

side note, when elizabeth was about 4. we watched a "birthing" show on pbs. at the very moment the baby was crowning and headin' out, elizabeth screamed, "it's comin' out of her EYE?" she saw this "opening" surrounded by hair and this white little baby head emerging and she thought it looked "eyeish" (it actually did.)
i still laugh about that one.
xoxox
julie