Every other Sunday night, my husband and daughter stay the night at his mom's house. I work from 6 pm to 6:30 am and Randy has to be at the hospital for school at 6 am. You can see that there is a bit of a problem... what to do with Lacy. So Lacy stays with her Grams and I pick her up as soon as I get off work. This morning was no exception.
Just as we were headed home, I decided to make a stop for breakfast at the local IHOP. We were quickly seated and served our pancakes. I ate my breakfast, Lacy played. I continued to eat my breakfast, Lacy continued to play. I finished my breakfast and asked for the check, Lacy was still playing.
ME: Lacy, grab a bite of food, because we are leaving.
Lacy: I'm not finished eating yet.
Me: Too bad for you. Next time, may I suggest a little less playing and a little more eating. So take whatever bite you can, we are leaving the rest here.
At this point I had no idea that I was about to encounter a stand off with my three year old child.
As the waitress walked by, Lacy turned to her and said, "I need a box". For a second I was totally stunned. My three year old knows how to take her food home? Then I realized she was looking right at me with that "I win, I beat you" look. She was staring me down!!! This was not a battle I was about to lose, NO SIR! I went eye to eye with her and said, "No box". Neither of us flinched. She squinted her eyes and lowered her brow. I held strong. After what seemed like forever (about two minutes) she gave in, "Hrmumph" she said, "Oh. well, we can do it that way". To which I replied, "You are damn right, I am in charge. Not you." She didn't miss a beat and told me "You can't say damn, mom".
Of course the waitress brought a box for her (she was not allowed to take the box, but she could carry out a sausage in each hand) and as we went to leave Lacy said, "That just blew my mind".
Is this normal? Do other parents have this kind of interaction with their three year olds?
5 comments:
no...just you. Feel lucky? :)
lol!
brook
And I thought teenagers were tough.
lol...yes....Regan is right there with her...but that was a good one!!!
Yeah, I've had those moments with my daughter - she's 7 now and I don't think it's getting any easier. But I do know, in the battle of wills - I must win or my life is over at about age 13.
No....not everyone has that kind of interaction with their three year old. Not everyone has a super witty and intelligent three year old either! Good job Lacy!
Post a Comment