Yesterday Randy and I took Lacy to see the movie Coraline. For those of you not fully aware of the premise, Coraline is a little girl who lives with her mom and dad, but is tricked by an evil witch/woman/whatever posing as her "other mother" and Coraline gets stuck in this "other" world that is becomes very scary.
The minute the term "other mother" came up, Randy and I shared knowing, concerned glances. To Lacy, I am not her mother, I am every other name associated with a mother. I am mom, mommie, momma, and as of lately, Heeeey Laaaady! (She finds this quite amusing!) But not Mother. That is the term she reserves for her "Other Mother".
We instantly realized this would open Pandora's box, but to what extent we didn't know. Throughout the movie, the Other Mother became quite scary and routinely tried to hurt Coraline. Eventually Coraline manages to escape her grasp and returns home to her real parents.
As it is, Lacy tends to place herself in ANY movie she watches. Often she will tell stories about her life that strangely resemble something recently viewed. Not surprisingly, she did the same last night.
On our way out of the movie theater she said to me, "I am really glad my "Other Mother" can't get me and hurt me anymore." Since day one we have made no accusations to Lacy regarding the state of the "other mother", however we have been very honest about her short comings. Lacy knows that her "other mother" couldn't take care of ANY of her kids. That she was sick, and that sickness caused her to make poor choices concerning the welfare of herself and mostly her family. Once Lacy asked to see her. Unfortunately we have NO idea where she is and have no way of finding her. (Yes, I have tried.) We told her that ONE DAY we might be able to find her, but she would need to be in a better place and making better decisions. Lacy has been pretty understanding so far.
But Coraline brought about a whole new image of the "Other Mother". We did our best to move past the movie... but I wonder if Lacy and Coraline are now forever intertwined! Sigh! We just wanted to go see a movie!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment