There is no doubt in my mind that Lacy loves words. She is constantly listening for a new word, asking me what certain words mean, and using new words in her conversation. For the most part these words are larger and more complicated than most four-year-olds tend to use. On the other hand, she occasionally uses a few words that most adults won't terribly appreciate.
The question for us is how to deal with tempering her fascination with words and desire to appropriately express herself with not offending those around her.
Fortunately, Randy and I have spent some time discussing this topic.
Growing up, many of these questionable words were not allowed in my home. In Randy's home it was not unusual to hear these same words dropped at the dinner table. I am not convinced that there is a right and a wrong way to parent when it comes to this, especially with a highly intelligent little girl like Lacy.
In our defense, Lacy is not using four letter words! She just picks up certain words or phrases and if she thinks they are neat she will use them. For example: Yesterday in conversation with Randy I used the term "hoochie mamma". Lacy immediately picked up on this and wanted to know what a hoochie mamma was. Last night in the car on the way home Lacy said to us, "I am so pissed off!" Other questionable phrases include, "this sucks, oh crap, and this is totally jacked up".
Once again I feel the need to reiterate that Lacy's language does not primarily consist of vulgar language. For the most part, she has very brilliant things to say and rarely uses words or phrases out of context. But on occasion, a whopper will come flying out.
We have taken the approach of letting Lacy know that although words are fun and interesting, they can also hurt people. That is why we must, at all times, watch what comes out of our mouths. Especially around people we don't know.
I am always impressed with her ability to integrate this information into her world. After explaining to Lace what a hoochie mamma was, I also told her that some people might find this word offensive and that she should be very careful when she uses the term. Later that day when we saw my parents I wanted her to say the word for my mother... and Lacy didn't want to use it in front of her!
For now, I take that as a good sign. She understands more than just words, she is understanding the power those words can have.
The question for us is how to deal with tempering her fascination with words and desire to appropriately express herself with not offending those around her.
Fortunately, Randy and I have spent some time discussing this topic.
Growing up, many of these questionable words were not allowed in my home. In Randy's home it was not unusual to hear these same words dropped at the dinner table. I am not convinced that there is a right and a wrong way to parent when it comes to this, especially with a highly intelligent little girl like Lacy.
In our defense, Lacy is not using four letter words! She just picks up certain words or phrases and if she thinks they are neat she will use them. For example: Yesterday in conversation with Randy I used the term "hoochie mamma". Lacy immediately picked up on this and wanted to know what a hoochie mamma was. Last night in the car on the way home Lacy said to us, "I am so pissed off!" Other questionable phrases include, "this sucks, oh crap, and this is totally jacked up".
Once again I feel the need to reiterate that Lacy's language does not primarily consist of vulgar language. For the most part, she has very brilliant things to say and rarely uses words or phrases out of context. But on occasion, a whopper will come flying out.
We have taken the approach of letting Lacy know that although words are fun and interesting, they can also hurt people. That is why we must, at all times, watch what comes out of our mouths. Especially around people we don't know.
I am always impressed with her ability to integrate this information into her world. After explaining to Lace what a hoochie mamma was, I also told her that some people might find this word offensive and that she should be very careful when she uses the term. Later that day when we saw my parents I wanted her to say the word for my mother... and Lacy didn't want to use it in front of her!
For now, I take that as a good sign. She understands more than just words, she is understanding the power those words can have.
No comments:
Post a Comment