Thursday, July 13, 2006

My future is so bright that I gotta wear...

A FREAKING FANNY PACK! Yeah, I'm serious. I know what you are thinking... it's the same thing I'm thinking... the image that comes to mind when I think of a fanny pack is the kind of woman you'd find at a Sturgis Harley Rally. Or a man in cut-off jeans and fanny pack strolling down the street in Palm Springs during gay pride week! Hello?!
*
Unfortunately I HAVE to get one. I need it for the hospital. I need one to carry around drugs and medical crap from room to room. Respiratory therapy is nothing like nursing. We don't get three to five patients that we take care of. Nope, we can have up to 15 patients... all in different areas of the hospital. We're a nomadic bunch, really. Thus the need for a personal fanny pack. In my hospital, that's how you spot an RT.
*
Having no idea where to possibly find a fanny pack, I have turned to the internet. I had no idea what a selection I would discover! This first little number is called the "Roman Holiday Bag". I laughed out loud too. Somehow the name just went with my Palm Springs visual. I like it. Despite it's name, my pragmatic side tells me that I should buy it. It's simple, and will serve it's purpose well.
*
However, my need to be bright and happy draws me to the bag with happy flowers. I bet a pack of cookies would fit nicely into that water bottle area. Fortunately I am wise enough to acknowledge that this bright bag riding on the back of my hefty caboose might not look so good. Like a single tail-light on the back of a moving bus. No, the flowers are out.
*
I wish the whole fanny-pack thing was mentioned to us at the beginning of the program. I might have reconsidered my profession. Fortunately I can still wear shirts like this. In fact I wore that shirt to work today and I was cornered in the psych ward by three crazies. They all wanted to tell me how pretty my polka dots were. Do I have taste or what?

No comments: